by Bret Contreras November 06, 2010
I didn’t have time to post last week so this is actually “good reads for the fortnight.” Lots of great stuff out lately. Amazing podcasts, great articles, videos, and blogposts. Keep up the great work fitness community!
Bret Contreras Articles
2. Here’s Part I of a S & C Coaches Roundtable that I did with Jim Kielbaso on his Ultimate Strength& Conditioning site. This was a great roundtable! The best part is that it included expertise from actual strength coaches (not just posers like me). For the entire article, you can sign up for a free 7-day trial on the site and access the entire roundtable by clicking here. There’s a lot of great information on this site for strength coaches. I’ve spoken to Jim on the phone and find him to be extremely intelligent and well-versed. I highly recommend that you check out this site.
3. This is a guest-blog I did for Tony Gentilcore – I might have gone a bit overboard I just don’t like when people dis on certain exercises, especially the mighty squat! Here’s part I and here is part II.
4. Here’s a free PDF of a Men’s Health article that I (along with many other great coaches) was featured in. Check out the single leg hip thrust on page 154 and mention of my name on page 155. This is the first time my name has appeared in Men’s Health so I’m pretty excited about it.
Article of the Week
1. Smitty – Hamstring Training. Smitty re-engineers the glute ham developer to give the exercise constant tension on the hammies. If you don’t realize how great of an idea this is then you are a silly jackass! Smitty just made a great exercise much better, which requires innovation. Seriously, I’ve been doing both variations all week long and there is just no comparison. The constant tension glute ham raise rocks! Manufacturers take notes.
1. Frontal Plane Instability by Jeff Cubos – Jeff does a great job of discussing research behind Valgus Collapse, and describes the trends employed over the years. I’ve been thinking a lot about this topic lately and have some of the same thoughts as Jeff.
2. Martin Berkhan Throws Down Some Serious Knowledge in this Myth-Busting Article
3. Goldilocks Variables by Mike Young. This is a Great Read!
4. Nick Tumminello shows the Push-Back Push-Up Exercise
5. Free Video by Mike Robertson on Single Leg Training
Video of the Week
1. Chinese Gymnastics – Simply Amazing!
2. Fitcast: JFassBiceps.com – Fitcast is Always Fun and Informative!!! Sometimes I feel like Kevin, Jonathan, and Leigh are my siblings, and that Kevin, Leigh, and I just don’t have the heart to tell Jon that he was adopted and isn’t our real brother.
4. More Fitcast – Great stuff as usual!
7. Superhuman Radio with Joe Dowdell
8. Superhuman Radio with Brooks Kubik (author of one of my favorite strength training books of all time – Dinosaur Training)
9. Superhuman Radio with Mike Mahler
10. Yet another Fitcast – this one with Nick Tumminello. This is a Great Listen! Nick, Kev, JFass, and Leigh kick around some serious knowledge on this one
11. Superhuman Radio – Peter Rouse on the Core
12. In the Trenches Fitness with Lee Taft
2. NSCA Southwest Regional Clinic (Patrick “P-Dub” Ward is presenting on Stress)
4. NSCA Coaches Conference in Dallas Jan. 7-8
More Good Reads/Views
1. The Paleo Diet – Fad, Religion, or Solution by Leigh Peele
4. Six concussion myths by Men’s Health
5. Lee Taft on What We’ll Look Like in 40 Years
6. Carl Valle offers training templates through his Valencia Project
8. Awesome Gray Cook video on Chapter 2 of his new book Movement
12. Vern Gambetta on Highlight Play Syndrome
13. Nia Shanks wants some videos of beautiful badasses (women training hard). Send in some clips if you’ve got the juevos!
15. Chris Beardsley on Anaerobic Respiration (Energy Systems Part II)
16. Mark Young Learns 24 Things in 34 Years (he’s actually serious…in thirty-four years my friend Mark Young has only learned 24 things…he’s kinda dumb!
18. Nick Winkleman: Train Movements, Not Muscles
20. Hilarious as usual Tony Gentilcore blogpost on Deadlifting
22. I stumbled upon this Youtube video with Bas Ruten. Years ago my friend lent me the actual Lethal Street Fighting DVD that Bas made and it was amazing. I freakin’ love Bas!
26. Carl Valle on Heavy Sleds
29. Rear-Foot Elevated “Speed Skater” Squats by Ben Bruno
35. Random Thoughts by Leigh Peele
36. TRX Lower Body Challenge
38. Great Links from Chris Beardsley
43. Mike Mahler on Why We Make Mistakes
44. JCD on Counting Calories
46. Don’t Forget to Breathe by Peter Baker
49. How Kevin Carr Increased His Vert
50. Rethinking Core Training by Jason Shea
52. Greatest “Fail” ever….I put fail in quotations because this is a “Win” in my book.
53. Best Abs Workout from Men’s Health (cool little video with Joe Dowdell and Adam Bornstein)
54. Perfect Butt Workout? Sorry Zuzana, I think you’re beautiful, sincere, and you have a sexy accent, but The Glute Guy rates this butt workout a 6. I like that you’re using sandbags but I could create a much better workout with just bodyweight and sandbags. It’s still fun watching you train!
55. Free Functional Movement Screen (FMS) PDF
66. Arnold Secrets to Success Part I and II
67. This is cool, Leigh Peele renovates her workout room into a dance room. I hear that John Fass is currently doing the same thing to his bedroom.
68. Random stuff with Kevin Carr
70. Great read by Bryan Krahn on the Essential Six
73. Is it Safe to Heat Food in Plastic?
75. Ben Bruno – Weighted Feet Elevated One Arm Inverted Rows
80. Great Read by Tony Gentilcore on Whether or Not you Should Wear Orthotics
81. Cool Video of Guys Working Out at a Gym in Congo, Africa
82. Two Great Videos By Joel Jamieson on Explosive Power. Here’s Video One and here is Video Two.
83. Bryan Krahn on Bulking
84. Ben Bruno – Reverse Lunges from a Deficit
86. Coach Kevin Carr workout of the week
89. Cool Feldenkrais Video – This looks strikingly similar to a lot of stuff the PT’s advocate these days.
92. Matt Perryman on Whether or Not we Should be “Keeping it Real”
93. Some Strong Ass Glutes!
96. Bunny Ears
99. What Limits Performance?
102. Marcin Dolega
103. How to Develop Killer Speed by Dean Somerset
108. Christmas Give-Aways from Mark Young
109. Awesome Blog by My Main-Man Keats Snideman on Training the Master’s Sprinter. I Love When Coaches Put Up Videos of Their Clients’ Workouts. Shows They’re the Real-Deal.
112. PDF of ACSM’s Current Comments on Explosive Exercise
116. Five Ways to Promote Behavior Changes in Your Clients by Kevin Carr
117. Great Wannabebig Article by Mark Young on Unilateral Hip Dominant Exercise (this is Part 2…Part I was on Unilateral Knee Dominant Exercise)
120. Metabolic Flexibility by Mike T. Nelson
125. Dr. John Berardi Interview: Food and Mood
126. Carl Valle Provides a Good Tip on How to Make Camera Stabilizers
127. Chris Beardsley on Skeletal Adaptations to Training (this is a great series by Chris)
128. Martin Rooney Travels the World to Show Us Cool Training Tips – This One’s on Explosive Kettlebell Slams
129. Carl Valle on Corrective Interventions
130. Peter Baker discusses Biofeedback Training
132. Hilarious Video – Massage Therapist for Models
134. Great Vern Gambetta blog on Growing and Learning
137. Dean Somerset Interviews Tony Gentilcore
138. Tom Venuto on the See-Food, Reach-Food Diet
139. JRod Heavy TRX Row
140. Awesome Video of Kevin Neeld on the Skating Treadmill
142. Badass Exercise – The One Arm Floor Press with Martin Rooney (from Denmark)
145. Sweet Spot in Sprinting by Carl Valle
148. Guy Hornsby – the Sport-Scientist Relationship
149. Sean Skahan on the TRX Lateral Line
158. Chinese Lifters at the 2008 Arnold
159. The 25-Rep Rule by Sean Hyson
163. Great Links from Chris Beardsley
165. Trail Leg Development by Carl Valle
168. Anatomy Trains Introduction
170. Athlete-Centered Training by Vern Gambetta
173. Half Truths and Lies by Vern Gambetta
177. Carl Valle on Medballs
178. Zach Even-Esh Gives an Arnold Video
182. The Power of Influence with Zach Even-Esh
187. Tighter Glutes by Bill Hartmann in Men’s Health
196. Citadel Track & Field Strength Training
200. Postural Analysis and Program Design by Dana Cavalea
201. Olympic Lifting Considerations by Trey Potter
202. Chaotic Sled Dragging by Smitty
203. Jim Kielbaso Combine Training (Great Vid!!!)
205. Heavy Deadlifting!
208. Random Stuff by Kevin Carr
212. Awesome Motivational Video on Mike T. Nelson’s Site. Definitely Worth Watching!
214. How Amanda Latona Gets her Heavenly Glutes
3. Dr. Ralph Carpinelli Challenges the ACSM Position-Stand on Resistance Training
4. What’s New in Orthopaedic Research? I don’t understand most of this but it looks very intriguing!
by Bret Contreras September 22, 2014
Hi Fitness Friends, Here are links to some articles you might want to check out: Force Vector Training Some of my readers will recognize THIS article. I wrote it several...
by Bret Contreras November 04, 2012
I’d like for you to take ten minutes of your time today to watch this video. My friend Charles Staley sent this my way, and it’s excellent. It’s almost as...
by Bret Contreras October 31, 2012
Chris Beardsley has been on an absolute terror lately, cranking out one excellent blogpost after another. Chris is the best in the field at what he does! Click HERE to...
The post Good Reads: Chris Beardsley Biomechanics and Sports Science Articles appeared first on Bret Contreras.
Welcome to the online store of Bret Contreras, considered by many to be the world’s foremost expert on glute training. Here you can purchase Personalised Programming, access to seminars, the Hip Thruster and more.
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more …